My name is David G. Schwartz. I am a scholar and writer with a few areas of focus: history, gambling/casinos, games (including video games), and higher education. I have written several books, including Grandissimo: The First Emperor of Las Vegas, Roll the Bones: The History of Gambling, and Boardwalk Playground: The Making, Unmaking, & Remaking of Atlantic City. You can learn more on the Books page, or just click one of the books below to head to Amazon, if you like to cut to the chase.
I was born and raised in Atlantic City, New Jersey, and earned my bachelor’s degree (a double major in anthropology and history) as well as his master’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania before receiving my doctorate in US History from UCLA. How did I get interested in studying gambling? Mostly where I grew up, combined with my hands-on experience in the casino industry as a security officer, surveillance officer, and Mr. Peanut.
Welcome to dgschwartz.com
- After Howard, Before The Mirage – The Neon Museum Las Vegas | The history of Las Vegas through neon – June 3, 2020
- It Took a Fire to Change Us | Nevada Public Radio June 2, 2020
- Back to Normal? – Comped Travel May 22, 2020
- Rebel Recharge Lecture: How Las Vegas Can Come Back May 19, 2020
- New paper on reading Sid Meier’s Civilization V as text May 13, 2020